Translate

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Obsession (2025) Review


Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: An awkward man experiences the most disastrous results after magically wishing his crush will love him.

Review: Simply put, this movie is a phenomenon--a, once in a decade, cultural moment similarly to "Halloween" or "The Blair Witch Project." I actually couldn't even watch this movie for like a month, because the showings kept selling out. But does "Obsession" actually live up to the hype? YES! As rare as it is, I was legitimately scared at one point and couldn't sleep right after my midnight showing ended; I kept thinking Nikki might be in the room with me! I dare say, "Obsession" is haunting--scratching its way into your mind, whether you realize it or not, and lingers with you long after the credits roll.

To properly explain what makes this movie work, I have to address the obvious: the character of Nikki steals the show. Played magnificently, and psychotically, by Inde Navarrette, your reaction to Nikki will shape your perception of everything. Maybe it's the memes, or how impactful the movie has been, but Nikki has firmly established herself in the cultural lexicon. My favorite is the infamous frown but with her photoshopped as Supergirl! Ms. Navarrette's performance is so nuanced with her subtle facial expressions and voice alterations...with some clutch help from the lighting. Something else that is hard to adequately explain is that she straddles a weird line of being attractive but somehow not so hot as to be unattainable to the main guy; she is that exact, archetypal girl next door. This was the kind of casting that only happens when the stars align perfectly. I'm calling it now, you will be seeing a lot more of Ms. Navarrette in the future regardless of whether she can ever pull off another role as memorable as Nikki. She certainly gave it her all, and it translated exceptionally into a career-making/defining performance.

Honestly, Inde looks more like the character than the actual actress in the movie.

The other major aspect blowing people away is the peanut budget and how much was accomplished despite this. My man, Curry Barker, I tip my hat to you. "Obsession" looks solid, as if it has a budget 20x what it was. The lighting alone is praiseworthy--with special attention toward the use of shadows. The way Nikki's eyes are made to glow demonically when she first shows up at Bear's house was awesome. Of course, the best scene in the movie is when Nikki watches Bear sleep. This is an outright masterclass in effective lighting creating the horror for you. Mr. Barker lets the shadows warp the imagination of the audience into creating their own scares. Now, the movie as a whole has solid production value, but the lighting is on a whole different level which is why I highlight it heavily.

Another piece of the puzzle is the way that so much of the story is left up to the audience. We already know there will be sequels, but I hope the supernatural elements presented here are not demystified. I've watched many videos and read numerous reviews full of speculation and interpretations regarding the characters and events of "Obsession." Is Nikki possessed? Who was the guy on the phone? This vagueness helps the story tremendously. I'd advise Mr. Barker to stop making any comments since the audience is interpreting the art in different ways. This is a huge plus. Let the audience wonder...it creates more interest and engagement with the material! This public conversation is another reason why this movie exploded in popularity; never underestimate the power of word of mouth.

Now for the downside. Is "Obsession" overrated? Yes...to a degree. Every bit of praise I've thrown at this film is earned, however, this is a derivative work and not original in the slightest. First, I'd consider the idea of 'be-careful-what-you-wish-for' as a sub-genre of horror. Second, wishing for love is yet another layer deeper within this sub-genre. My first reaction to this movie was it's an edgier version of "Loved to Death" which is an episode of "Tales from the Crypt." That episode is strikingly similar to "Obsession," which, in turn, was the '90s attempt at being an edgier version of "The Chaser," an episode of "The Twilight Zone." Likewise, Mr. Barker explaining he drew inspiration from "The Simpsons" parody of "The Monkey's Paw" is a bizarre admittance unto itself. The inspirations for "Obsession" are palpable which does hurt it ever so slightly. However, an important distinction I want to acknowledge is the execution of these inspirations. "Obsession" is the best version of the love wish as a concept.

Overall, this is low-budget horror at its finest! Whether you end up thinking "Obsession" is overrated or the best horror movie ever, one cannot deny this is a landmark film that will be discussed for years to come. "Obsession" has broken all kinds of records, becoming a huge financial hit as well, ensuring that the wannabes are probably being put into production at this very moment. This movie is scary, thought-provoking, and oozes atmosphere. Nikki is going to be one of this generation's big icons--maybe only alongside Art the Clown. I do accept the derivative nature of the story can weaken things, but "Obsession" takes material that's be done before and perfects it for a fraction of the budget. I'm excited to see what comes next from the writer/director and Ms. Navarrette.

Notable Moment: There are a ton of standout moments, but the bedroom sequence with Nikki in the shadows is downright terrifying. Besides the fact that the entire setup is creepy as hell, the way the shadows create this monstrous look to her appearance is amazing. Then the flowerpot moment builds so much tension and screws with your imagination, heightening the anticipation. That's our Freaky Nikki! What a scene!

Final Rating: 7.5/10 

No comments: