Translate

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My Top 10 Scariest Movies of All Time

Disclaimer: This list will obviously contain spoilers to films regarding many of their scariest moments so be aware of this fact! Also, this is all my opinion, and I'm sure many or most will disagree. Lastly, this is a list of films that scared me personally and is not representative of my favorite horror movies as a whole even though it will include many of my favorites.

So after viewing "The Conjuring" and feeling it was truly frightening, it really had me thinking about what are the scariest films to me. I have to say, assembling this list was incredibly difficult. I had to think long and hard about my life to figure out what movies genuinely scared me and still scare me without focusing on things that only scared me as a kid or whatever. I looked over my DVD collection, dwelled upon the many, many films I had watched, and even had to consult a list of over 2000 horror films just to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything; despite the size and thoroughness, I know that that list was still missing a lot of heavy hitters to boot. I should mention that looking over that list, realizing I had watched roughly 85% of the films, made me feel like a big dork, but, at the same time, made me want to watch the random films I have missed! So anyway, some of these films won't come as much of a surprise because I mention a few all the time, but it's not going to be your typical bullshit with "The Shining" (seriously people, it's not scary at all) or the cliched "The Exorcist" at the default number one position. Now I present my list of top 10 scariest movies and hope you enjoy!

Honorable mentions: There's no way I could narrow this list down without seriously considering quite a few contenders for the top spots. Realistically, there are so many films I wanted to add I could have probably made this a top 100 list easily, but maybe one day I will create a true, top horror films of all time list! So let me briefly throw out a few contenders, in no particular order, and why they didn't quite make the cut besides "The Conjuring." "The Others:" the twist is awesome, but the scares are far too scattered considering how long the film is. I did, however, absolutely love the scene with Victor messing with the curtains--great tension. "The Grudge 2:" everyone seems to hate this movie but Kayako looks awesome and there are some really great scares. On the other hand, there are too many stupid moments and a divided focus away from Kayako as other ghosts take the spotlight from time to time. "Pet Sematary:" this is one of those instances where I was much more frightened as a child than as a teen and adult especially of the Zelda character. It is a disturbing movie undoubtedly, but just nowhere near the level my nostalgia wants me to believe. "Paranormal Activity 3:" I am already the oddball who likes this one the best, but at the end of the day, altering the story and messing with the continuity is too much of a detraction despite the creative scares. "Sinister:" had there been more emphasis on Baghuul, I would have definitely added this to the list. It's a great movie full of some creepy moments, but it was not as scary as it could have been. "The Thing:" easily one of best sci-fi films in existence, but I feel that that aspect outshines the horror elements. The sense of dread is excellent, but at the end of the day, I'm more interested in learning about the creature's origin rather than being afraid. "Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County:" when I was younger, I was incredibly unsettled by the scene when the alien pops out from behind the door. This was a great, early found-footage film, but, in retrospect, this film is rather tame without consistent scares. And finally, "Stir of Echoes:" this would have been a lot more memorable if the ghost simply looked scarier. That scene where Kevin Bacon sees the ghost in the movie theater could have been legendary if done better with a scarier ghost!


10. Candyman: This is one of the few films on this list that I haven't reviewed yet and the one I debated about the most; after all, there were so many honorable mentions that could have taken this film's place. But what this film has going for it is that it successfully gets into your head and freaks you out. You find yourself afraid to look in the mirror and god forbid you have a medicine cabinet and that dreadful feeling when you shut the door and someone may be standing behind you! This film's tone and atmosphere are so dark that I have to commend it for creating an unsettling environment. Granted, the plot is essentially a timeless urban legend reworked, but it pulls off a noteworthy spin on the story while instilling fear long after the initial experience of the film. The only reason this film is so low on the list is because the Candyman himself just isn't scary looking. Sure, he's intimidating as hell and it's scary when he appears out of nowhere, but his look is nothing to be afraid of. Lastly, the early '90s were a terrible time for horror films, and I think that's a big reason this gem has gone mostly unnoticed over the years.


9. Insidious: The moment you see that title card you knew this film was going to be amazing. There's a lot going on throughout this film with multiple ghosts, great setups, a successful play on the imagination, memorable jump moments, and an excellent tone established early on. This film, and many on this list, excel at relentlessly spamming one scare after another to put the audience in an unforgiving sense of unease. And like the most successful horror films, "Insidious" manages to have you on edge during scenes where nothing happens and toys with the audience's expectations. The only reason why this film isn't ranked much higher was because many of the ghosts just look like regular people and aren't all that scary looking. Also, the demon does look too much like Darth Maul and it invokes more of a chuckle out of me than fright. If the sequel can amend these minor infractions, I may have to make room for it on this list!


8. The Exorcist: But Ryan, you just said you weren't going to have "The Exorcist" on the list! Okay, it's nowhere near number one in my book, but I can't deny that it is undoubtedly one of the scariest movies ever created. And let's face it, the makeup and special effects still hold up remarkably well to today's standards. The Regan character is truly frightening both in look and presentation, and her disturbing presence carries the film and stays with you long after the credits have rolled. I'm not a religious person, but I can put myself in the mindset of the audience and imagine how much more frightening it is to those that believe this level of possession is possible. But more so, the fear can also come from the notion of losing control of yourself and becoming something absolutely evil. But the main reason I have this so much lower than others would place it is due to various reasons. For one, I've grown up on this film and it's as if I grew out of being scared of it. And for two, those unbearably bad sequels seriously tarnished my image of the awesomeness of the original. With that said, I must, however, reiterate that this is still one of the best horror films out there and easily one of the scariest films of all time.


7. Coming Soon: I can't believe how few people are aware of this incredible film's existence. I guess because it's plot does sort of sound like a ripoff, but I assure anyone that this film is actually quite original with some creative ideas. The use of the movie theater as the backdrop to the horror was a nice touch and allows for some interesting scenarios. There are so many great moments, and, once they start rolling, they don't really let up until the last shot. The makeup effects for the ghost, Shomba, are excellent and she has a certain visceral look that makes her appear more realistic rather than ethereal like other ghosts. The only real complaint is that Shomba is the only ghost and source of scares in the movie so if she's not doing it for you then it's not going to work. I mean, even the best and most elaborate scares in the film rely on Shomba's presence so that's pretty much why this film is ranked where it's at. But, believe me, most people will probably find Shomba effectively creepy as I did. This film is just so scary and full of creativity I wish more people would check it out!


6. One Missed Call: To be fair, I kind of rank this film and "Coming Soon" as almost on the same level; the reason I ranked this film higher was because I felt it's best scene was better than "Coming Soon's" best. There was an interesting approach to this film's scares since each scene attempts to top the previous one. Meaning, this film builds up slowly until it gains enough traction to unleash one awesome scene after another as it reaches its nightmarish climax. But besides the bigger setups, there were many subtle moments that I feel enhance the tension since the audience doesn't know what will come next. The ghosts do look scary, but the zombie mom at the end was a great surprise and unnerving as well. As I originally discussed in my review, I really loved the makeup effects on the zombie because, with the accompanied lighting, they successfully make you wonder if she's just a part of the background or whether it's an actual actor in makeup. The film does end idiotically, but not enough to deter from the rollercoaster ride beforehand.


5. Jaws: If there's any film on this list that got to me on a primal level of fear, this is that entry. Let's face it, no one wants to be eaten alive, and it is probably the most horrific death I could possibly imagine for any individual other than, maybe, death by fire. Worse yet, you add in the fact that humans are so powerless in the water and accompany that by the timeless fear of the ocean and what lurks under the waves and you have horror movie infamy right there. And let's not overlook that giant ass shark, which was a bit of an exaggeration, but those teeth send one hell of a message. I'm not going to lie, I'm honestly never stepping foot in the ocean again because of this movie, and I know I'm not alone in this belief. "Jaws" was the first major summer blockbuster, a pop culture phenomenon, and one of the scariest movies ever conceived simply because it reached a base fear present in every audience goer. This film's place may fluctuate at some point, but rest assured, this is the one film I can say with certainty will always be on my list!


4. Ju-on: The Grudge 2: Say what? "The Grudge 2" gets an honorable mention and this film makes it this far up the list? Yeah, you know it! What can I say, I have a soft spot for Kayako or something. I've already gone over at great lengths the "Ju-on" franchise and why I feel it so good, but I'll admit this series is a hit or miss on whether or not it will scare a viewer. Out of the 8 movies, I believe this one truly represents the potential the story has to tell and plays the scares so perfectly and well paced. Besides Kayako running about, there were so many great ideas implemented even if there were a few nonsensical moments. Speaking of which, Kayako looks more menacing and creepy as she lurks in the shadows, jumps out, or slowly crawls toward you. There were just so many great scares and elaborate setups that I could not overlook this film's rightful place this high on the list.


3: Dead Silence: Of all the movies I've mentioned thus far, this is the film I feel is most underrated of all. Okay, well maybe only me and 10 other people have even heard of "Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County," but that's beside the point! "Dead Silence" works on so many levels it's hard to imagine why it is so overlooked while also providing a top-notch story with a lot of creativity and originality. You've got creepy dolls, one hell of a scary ghost, and even some clown action going on! There's pretty much something for everyone to be afraid of, and I was genuinely caught off guard by how scary this film turned out to be. Mary Shaw is one twisted fuck and is decked out in some amazing makeup effects that easily rival any other villain on this list. Furthermore, this film is completely relentless in the quick succession of scary scenes which made it one of the most terrifying films of all time to me.


2. The Ring: Yes, I'm talking about the remake for once; it's better--deal with it. Honestly, the memory of seeing this bad boy in the cinema is forever etched into my mind. I had only watched a trailer ahead of time in passing, and I have no idea what I think I saw because it sure as hell did not prepare me for the horror that awaited me! All my friends were scared shitless and some were closing their eyes and looking down during the more intense moments. Pretty much all the scariest movies to me are films I know absolutely nothing about when watching them. While I was obviously scared during the viewing, it wasn't until I was home did the real terror sink in. I remember one of my friends was paranoid as hell, and, since we were having a sleepover, a few didn't want to go to bed because they were so scared. This film worked on many levels because you had Samara looking freaky, a certain degree of unpredictability, and someone coming out of your TV is just creepy as fuck! But believe me, there is much more going on with this film than the legendary scene of Samara coming out of the TV. And, once again, I was still feeling the effects of watching this film days and even weeks after the fact. I guess it also didn't help that I went back to watch the movie in the cinema two more times!

And the number 1 scariest movie is...without a doubt, "Howling VII!" Yeah, it would be if I judged solely on the scary decision-making to bring together such a piece of shit movie.


No, the real scariest film of all time is none other than the film I mention all the time: "Shutter!" I'm talking about the original of course--not that pitiful piece of shit remake. I still remember watching "Shutter" for the first time and being alone just thinking this would be a quiet little evening. Oh how wrong I was! Honestly, it's all about Natre here; she's so scary looking and always popping up in the right moment to scare you shitless. I was truly scared while watching this film to the point that I had to sleep with the lights on. I would close my eyes, and I'd see Natre there and the fact that Natre comes at you while you're in bed is the worst part! Some films scare me with what you see, some rely on my imagination running wild, and then this film does both! I simply cannot praise this film enough because it is pure awesome, has a great story, some clever twists and turns, the best scare setups, and a great blend of jump scares, outright scares, and subtle background shots. I could never recommend this movie enough. This is what horror is all about ladies and gentlemen, and every horror fan should have given this one a shot by now!

2 comments: