Translate

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Nightmare Before Christmas Review


Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: In a world where creatures only experience Halloween, the Pumpkin King wishes to celebrate Christmas.

Review: I planned to review this film some time ago, but I was never sure if I wanted to cover it during Halloween or Christmas. In the end, I decided that the majority of the film is Halloween-centric so here we are. Anyway...this is an undeniably unique and ambitious example of filmmaking, however, I've never understood the appeal. Sure, the songs are catchy and the visuals are imaginative, but I guess I just don't "get it." The story makes little sense and the pacing is an absolute fucking mess with an impromptu villain added in the third act since most conflict in the plot is contrived and forced. Not sure how this crack trip was created, but anything this weird is going to attract a specific crowd one way or another.

Starting with the positives I must acknowledge the animation efforts. The character designs and general aesthetics are impressive and wholeheartedly original. Although you clearly feel Tim Burton's hand in the production, the crew did a fantastic job worthy of high praise. Overall, from a production standpoint, the movie is quite the accomplishment. Since the film is, more or less, a musical, I did like many of the songs. The voice actors also turned in admirable performances since I wouldn't have even recognized them from their usual speaking voices without consulting a cast list. While the story may not fully dazzle my senses, there is a certain, whimsical tone that engages the viewer in the way a bizarre fairy tale would.

As for the negatives, it's hard for me to accept the situations when it feels like they're making things up as they go. Yeah, this is a fantastic world where monstrous creatures simply exist--I can come to terms with that--but random things keep happening on the spot as if you are supposed to roll with the punches. I can't. For example, the Frankenstein-wannabe can just create lifeforms because Jack shows him a picture? Or Jack is shown being blown up and falling out of the sky and just brushes this off. Yet...we are to believe he's in danger when fighting Oogie Boogie? Speaking of which, Oogie Boogie comes out of nowhere, like he was supposed to be this threat all film long, and is easily dispatched with. AND the only reason he's in the story at all is because Jack enlists the help of his minions for no discernible reason despite being told not to trust them! Then the romance element is completely shoehorned in as if it's of epic proportions. It ain't. The running time is incredibly short--70 minutes without credits--and you feel like every plot point is rushed as if they just wanted to be done with it already. I don't know, dude...there is definitely a reason those cowards at Disney wouldn't attach their brand name until AFTER the film had succeeded.

As a fan of film itself, I can respect "The Nightmare Before Christmas," but it is not my cup of tea. There are numerous elements I appreciate especially in regard to the production and art style. Maybe if they went darker with the material--presenting an adult fairy tale perhaps--I could be more invested. To turn this into some kind of holiday movie for the kiddies, on the other hand, makes it bland to me somehow as if they wasted the full potential. Had there been, maybe, another 15-20 minutes tacked on to the film--establishing Oogie Boogie, explaining how all these holiday worlds exist separate from reality, etc.--then I believe a truer vision would have been realized. This is probably another instance where you will simply adore the film through and through or awkwardly shrug once the credits roll.

Notable Moment: The scene used for the poster--when Jack is singing across the moonlight. It's a great image, and I can see why they played it up for the marketing.

Final Rating: 6/10

No comments: