Translate

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Shutter (Thai original) Review


Check out my updated review! http://thevagrantrises.blogspot.com/2015/07/updated-review-9-shutter-2004-thai.html

Disclaimer: Contains spoiler!

Plot Summary: A photographer and his girlfriend accidentally run a woman over and flee the scene. Now they are being haunted by a ghost...cue scary shit!

Review: First, I must say that when ghostface calls me asking, "What's your favorite scary movie?" I reply, "Shutter!" I love this movie! Forget any kind of culture barrier, this movie is true horror at its finest with the most effective scare scenes I've ever watched. There are some cheap jump scares, but most play off genuine fright, and the scares are aplenty. The scares also progressively increase in intensity as the movie builds toward a nightmarish climax. Multiple scenes here would make it into a top ten scariest moments list if I should ever create that; the scares are just that successful. I can't tell how good the acting is with subtitles, but all the actors are excellent from my perspective. Of the three main characters, I must give the most credit to the ghost, Natre, played magnificently by Achita Sikamana. In flashbacks, she pulls off a creepy, clingy, emotionally unstable weirdo, but as a ghost she seems to truly relish the role. The makeup effects on Natre are astounding and truly should have won some kind of award. She has often haunted my thoughts, but I still feel bad for her character as we see a ghost that truly deserves her revenge. At the same time this is an impressive feat creating an antagonist that we both fear and sympathize with. The focus of Natre's attention is Tun and Jane: Tun is a douchebag photographer and Jane is his arm candy I guess; I was never clear if Jane was more than a girlfriend or not. At first you kind of feel bad for them, but as the movie progresses you get a feel for what is really going on and can't wait for Tun to get his just desserts. From beginning to end, "Shutter" sucked me in and had me looking over my shoulder the whole movie. This is what happens when you know nothing about a film, have no expectations, and decide to give it a go alone, in the dark, at night! Great pacing, solid storytelling, impressive visual effects, creative scares, and an all around perfect horror movie. I really can't praise this film enough, but I don't want to say too much because this is a situation where it is better that you watch it yourself. This is that rare time when the hype surrounding a film is truly warranted. If you watch any foreign movie in your life, make it "Shutter." You certainly won't regret it! Screw that, if you watch ANY horror movie in your life, this should be the one. Oh and NEVER bother with that embarrassing Hollywood remake!

Notable Moment: There are a lot of elaborate scares but the scene with Natre at the end of the bed had me sleeping with the lights on.

Final Rating: 10/10

No comments: