Translate

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Halloween: Resurrection Review


Check out my updated review here! https://thevagrantrises.blogspot.com/2018/10/updated-review-24-halloween-resurrection.html

Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: With nothing better to do with his life, Michael Myers goes back to his childhood home only to discover a reality TV show being filmed at the location.

Review: Now we come to perhaps the most hated entry in this franchise. I'm not going to lie, despite the ridiculous premise and how stupid this film is, I find it really entertaning as a sort of guilty pleasure. With Mikey losing his head in the last film, they used a pretty effective and creative plot line to resurrect him; they explain that when Michael was first hurt by Laurie in "H20" that he then switched places with a paramedic to make a getaway (although, since when has Michael been that smart?!) while Laurie actually killed the paramedic. Now Laurie has lost her mind and ends up in a mental institution where Michael finally kills the character off. I'm really not sure if this was the wisest decision, but they really weren't going to lure back Jamie Lee Curtis like they did with Donald Pleasence since she apparently has no real love for the state of the franchise (can't say I blame her). However, this death is maybe the biggest plot hole in the franchise. Since when did Michael kill someone outside of Halloween night! Especially the main person he has always been trying to kill?! Fuck! Oh wait, I get it, you just want an asinine plot contrivance to explain the rest of the movie, is that it? This is just so stupid beyond belief; I'm talking "Season of the Witch" stupid! So in the oddest moment of the franchise, Michael does all of his killing the day before Halloween so he can take a much needed 24 year late nap at his house, but what's this? Someone is shooting a reality TV show the same year Michael finally gets his work done a day early?! Well, time to conveniently gear up for this Halloween, Mikey! I suppose there was really nothing left to do with the Michael Myers character since he finally killed all his family members and they killed the "Thorn" plot line. I actually don't mind this reality show angle, but it is executed so terribly with annoying characters you are begging for Michael to kill; I mean come on, Starbuck, a kid from American Pie, Busta Rhymes, and Tyra Banks?! Thankfully he kills most and they are decent enough deaths that I feel satisfied for being tortured with their presence. There is some dumb as hell contrivance with the lead, Sara, having a friend on the internet that helps her survive getting out the Myer's house since he is watching the show. This constant cutting back to the internet friend, named Deckard, is annoying because you feel removed from what this whole franchise is all about. Michael is totally wasted as well since he has been reduced to just a jump scare rather than the driving force of the film as in the past. Like "H20," this just doesn't feel like a "Halloween" movie at all. This movie is terrible, but, like I said, there is just something I find entertaining about this film that still allows me to watch it and laugh which I can't do with shit like "H20" and part six. I think the writers had become self aware and just tried to make something that would sell to the audience; needless to say, there is a reason why this was the last film before the reboot. Unfortunately, this film ended on a cliffhanger and I'm still wondering what will happen next (well, not really)!

Notable Moment: When Freddie says "Trick or treat, mother fucker!" It is so laughably stupid that I find myself saying it at least once every Halloween since 2002.

Final Rating: 4/10

No comments: