Translate

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Haunted Changi Review



Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: A documentary crew investigates a notoriously haunted hospital in Singapore.

Review: Once again, for the billionth time now, we have wasted potential! There were even a few parts where I was really on edge because I thought they were building to something scary, but maybe I was too hopeful? As the documentary crew discusses within the film, the Changi Hospital in Singapore is real and has an interesting past ripe for potential; however, this film failed beyond miserably to deliver on an awesome set piece, a realistic setting, and the chance to play with some creative ideas. They could have at least played it safe with jump scares galore, and I'd still like it better than it turned out. Instead, we get almost no scares, predictable plot twists, and so(oooooooooo) much filler! I understand that they were going for realism which, to the film's credit, they did succeed somewhat at, but you have to plot this out better. This is supposed to be a found-footage movie, yet the opening shot is the ending scene of the film so if you're going to present the film as if it's a completed documentary, you can't show a shot like that at the beginning! Furthermore, I simply believe it was yet another chance to throw in filler since this film barely clocks in at 75 minutes. I can, and have, forgiven films for being too short if they can at least make use of their time, but this film fucks around constantly with the same establishing shot, pointless transitions, mindless scenes that drag, and cool setups with no payoff that eventually I have to label as even more filler! I'll give you a great example: the main guy is walking down tight corridors for (at least!) 3 minutes with so much potential for a final scary shot or any kind of jump scare along the way, but instead just sort of comes to an end and then that's it. Sorry, but as much as I love the tension, you must bring it to a conclusion...that's just blue-balling the audience! In all honesty, without this tension, I would have rated this film even lower because that's really all it has. There is maybe one real scare, and it loses all impact because the main character explains it away for the sake of the primary plot twist which anyone could see coming a million miles away! In case you're curious, they main guy keeps saying he's interviewing some girl who's squating at the hospital and big fucking shock she's a ghost! Ahh! I didn't see that coming! Come on guys, really? Eh, the acting is okay since sometimes it feels real while other times it's pitifully staged. As a major plus, the actors mostly spoke english, and I liked to see the diverse culture of Singapore. But believe me, there are much better horror films from Singapore so I'd say give this a pass unless for some reason all my detractions are not registering with you.

Notable Moment: When the "China lady" appears in the doorway, disappears for a second, then reappears right near the camera. It was pretty much the only scary scene in the whole film.

Final Rating: 4/10

No comments: