Translate

Monday, July 8, 2013

The Ramblings of Ryan Volume 1

Okay, so this is something random I have been planning on doing for a while now. This is more of a traditional blog post to keep whoever updated on what I am doing at the moment and to discuss things not necessarily movie related. I will probably do something like this once every couple months or as certain things catch my attention that I would like to discuss. While I have many interests beyond geeky hobbies, I will continue to focus on those subjects since I want to keep the blog's tone lighthearted and devoid of such topics like politics, current events, etc. But before jumping in, I wanted to explain that I had a kidney stone a week and a half ago, and so I haven't really been able to put together any reviews for a while. I was always under the assumption that such illnesses were for old people, but apparently it can happen to anyone at any age depending on specific factors. Regardless, I'm recovered and I have a lot of movies I need to review before I forget too many details! To name a few, I'll be adding "Witchboard" 1 and 2, "Hatchet" 1-3, "The Shock Labyrinth," and "Tormented." I may bring this up again, but I couldn't track down "Witchboard III: The Possession" unless I wanted to pay $10 or more for a used DVD; of course I am saying hell no to that! Plus, from everything I've read, that movie is pure shit, and I don't want to waste that much money on something that stupid not even new. Another thing I've been considering is trying to formulate a top 10 horror movies list, but it's much harder than it sounds. Do I go by movies that scared me only such as "Shutter" and "The Ring" or how do I factor in awesome movies that don't scare me like the original "Halloween?"

So the first thing I've really wanted to mention is an upcoming video game for the PC called "Dreadout." As an ardent supporter of Asian horror I want to inform as many people as possible of this games existence since I'm sure many will be unaware of it. Basically, the game plays similar to "Fatal Frame" relying on photography, but it is made by Indonesian developers mostly funded by donations. Not only does this game look scary as hell, but it seems to have some solid ideas with surprisingly good graphics for an indie game; I'd say the graphics are above PS2 but slightly below PS3. The main protagonist, Linda, is also one of the most attractive video game characters I've seen in a long time--easily on level with the "Dead or Alive" babes. Right now it's still at demo stage, but it has been greenlit by Steam so they are projecting a Fall release. Definitely check out the demo if you can, and I will link to the youtube trailer where you can learn more information about the developers and whatever else catches your fancy:


"Dreadout's" main website where you can download the demo: http://dreadout.com/

Now something I've been reading a lot since "Man of Steel" came out are increased comments about Superman vs Goku. I've already discussed that I'm a big Batman fan, and only the most misguided fanboy would believe Batman seriously stands a chance against Superman. Well, the same applies here with Superman standing absolutely NO chance of defeating Goku. I mean, where did this idiotic concept come from? Goku is one of, if not, the most powerful fictional beings ever conceived! Let's put a few things in perspective: Superman cannot blow up a planet so keep that in mind. Vegeta in the early episodes of "Dragon Ball Z" destroyed a planet with two fingers; Goku would later defeat Vegeta. Then after becoming at least 100 times stronger, Goku fought and defeated Frieza who blew up a planet with some of strongest fighters in the universe with one finger! If that weren't bad enough, after growing even more ridiculously powerful, Goku fought and defeated people who could flick Frieza to death. And then, finally, at the end of DBZ, Goku fought a being so powerful it threatened to destroy the universe with sheer brute force and was able to kill the creators of the universe singlehandedly. So please tell me how little ol' Superman can even begin to stand a chance against a fighter dealing with menaces of that magnitude?! I mean, maybe Superman would give kid-Goku from "Dragon Ball" some trouble, but that's about it. None of the DBZ characters should be compared to other fiction because they exist on a plane of vast powers all on their own. Besides, Goku would never fight Superman nor would Superman fight Goku, because both believe in the same principles and are heroes through and through.

I had originally planned to do a giant rant on how stupid X-box One was turning out to be, but they thankfully retracted most of their asinine proposed ideas. But I still wanted to chime in a little to say that this issue brought up how brainwashed (or braindead) it appears so many alleged gamers are. Despite all the controlling measures Microsoft was taking, there were still people willing to pay for such an abomination of an "entertainment" system. I love X-box and it's been my main gaming system for years now, but there was no chance in hell I would support such an anti-consumer product. This then led to the ridiculous claim that individuals don't really own their games and that used games are killing the market. That is such utter bullshit it's hilarious. Not only is any product bought now property of the buyer but to say otherwise would imply you're only renting a product. Since we are not renting, even though I'm sure greedy companies would love that, then we own the item! Furthermore, never in any other case would people say such an outlandish and stupid statement. So when I buy paint from a store to paint my house, I can't actually do what I want with it? Or when I buy bread, if the company doesn't like me toasting it, I can't? As for the used games killing the market? Uh, what about used cars, homes, furniture, etc.? If you can't provide a good enough product that people are willing to buy it new, then up the quality or lower your production costs. I remember only a few short years ago it would take all year for a game to lose value unless it sucked. But because they have brainwashed the minds of their customers to constantly desire new merchandise and jumping onto the next game immediately, companies are now feeling the backlash while still trying to pass blame. How typical. Honestly, I agree with some critics that an industry crash seems to be on the horizon.

Finally, I wanted to discuss a topic I don't nearly have enough opportunities to bring up...my dear sweet Rika Ishikawa: the world's most beautiful woman! Sure, I use every chance to mention her, but she just doesn't do enough movies unfortunately which would make sense since she's mainly a singer after all. Oh well, I'll always make sure to mention her here! My only gripe with Ms. Ishikawa is that she doesn't maintain her natural hair color enough. For those who still don't know about this goddess she is a former member of the famous J-pop group Morning Musume as well as a variety of other splinter groups. While it's hard to ignore her looks, she has a quirky personality which gave rise to the nickname "Charmy" as she often is easy going with an odd sense of humor. She's also known for her physical fitness and extreme flexibility performing a signature standing split when prodded by interviewers. There's a lot to say about my beloved Rika, but it's hard to find current information because most websites that talk about her are in languages I can't read! Anyway, Rika, if you can ever read this, marry me?!

Close things out by basking in a Rika montage!


No comments: