Translate

Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Ramblings of Ryan Volume 2

So it's once again time for a regular blog post. The first thing I wanted to say was that I seriously dropped the ball again this November. I didn't do any reviews last year and this year I only did a couple! Tsk tsk. Well, I partially blame this on "Battle Royale II: Requiem," because I vowed to never watch it again, and I'm trying soooooo hard to force myself to finish it (but failing)! And I must stress it's my love for the first BR that makes me hate the sequel so much. I should probably also explain my review process since it's kind of overly complicated which typically isn't my style. Usually I will watch a movie, even if I've seen it a million times, and then add it to my blog with a basic framework of what I want to talk about. But because I juggle anywhere from 10-20 movies at a time, my time of viewing these films may be anywhere from weeks or even months ago. This leads to the fact that I sometimes lose interest in a film to review, and, on occasion, I just forget a movie altogether. Of course there are exceptions like when a movie is so bad I feel inspired to write immediately, but, for the most part, this is the pattern I follow. I simply need to make sure BR doesn't fall through the cracks, because BR II sucks so much!

Anyway, I will try and make up for things with a lot of Christmas movie reviews--for better or worse. Some will be horror themed, of course, (and I'm starting off with a doozy) and some will be generic Christmas movies--I'll have to see how festive I'm feeling. Eh, I'm sure I'll throw in some non-Christmas movies just to spice things up. I mean, it just wouldn't be the holidays without a decapitation or two, right? What has been keeping me busy was part work and part addiction to the video game "Borderlands 2." I'm not sure how many are familiar with that game, but it's awesome! I definitely recommend going out and playing it, but be weary of the price especially as it has way too much shitty dlc; if you can possibly get just the core game, I'd say the only must-have is the dlc "Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep." It might not seem like all that much at a glance, but once you play it for a while, you find yourself hopelessly immersed!

Another thing on my mind is that I have been thinking about redoing a couple reviews and adding an "updated" label to them to establish a differentiation. It's not to say that everything about the original review would be lost, simply that there are some movies I felt I did not give it my best--especially my earlier ones. Then there are the instances when I re-watch a film and my original view of a film may have differed one way or another. I definitely want to redo my review for "Muoi: The Legend of a Portrait," because that has remained my most popular post since it was uploaded, and I feel as though I'm doing a disservice by not providing a more thorough review. Also, I don't think my point that it was a good movie was expressed properly. Right now I have it at a 6/10 rating, but I originally intended to give it a 7/10. The problem was that I began to think more about the story and realized only one scare in the whole film was real while everything else was merely a dream. This fact bothered me, because how the hell do you make all of your scares dreams?! It was just stupid. Eh, I'll go back over it at some point; I simply want it to be made aware. Plus, there are a few movies I have re-watched and have quietly added revisions, but I want to be more thorough like how I'm still kicking myself for not addressing the ladies of "C-ute" that were in "Ousama Game!"

I know it's kind of late, but seriously, that fucking "Dexter" series finale pissed me off! There are so many stupid things to say about the entire last season in general that I could go on all day, but I don't want to get too detailed--just want to express my rage, because I felt it was worth discussing. In my mind, there is only seasons 1-4, and after the (spoiler!!!) death of Rita, due to Dexter sparing Trinity, he gave up killing. I don't even care. It's better to imagine that ending than the atrocious, disgraceful decline into mediocrity that was seasons 5-8. There were so many laughably bad moments that it's embarrassing to think of the endless potential this show had and the direction it was taken leading to its miserably unsatisfying conclusion. On the other hand, at least "Breaking Bad" did live up to the hype! Also, I wanted to mention that I am surprisingly enjoying the show "Sleepy Hollow" for it's "Supernatural" meets "The X-Files" vibe coupled with my love for all things apocalyptic. I know it can seem campy as hell, but check it out with an open mind and you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

And finally, Rika says merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

No comments: