Translate

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Giver Review


Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: A man realizes his utopian society is actually an oppressive regime that has removed any meaning of life from the people.

Review: For once, I did read this book back when it first came out in the early '90s, and I thoroughly enjoyed it--one of my all time favorites. When I heard that this movie was announced I simply rolled my eyes. Can you really make a movie out of "The Giver?" Well, apparently you can, and it turned out about as lame as I anticipated. Ughh. Admittedly the movie has a decent plot, as the book is naturally interesting, but they changed far too much; only the bare bones of the plot remain intact. Stuck in development hell for years, they clearly altered the movie to reflect a "Hunger Games-esque" style as most YA adaptations have. The problem is that this is not, at all, what "The Giver" was striving for with its message. The book is a philosophical tale presented in a way children can handle--questioning the great mysteries of life, what it means, and how are choices and knowledge shape us. Instead, the film version reworks this material into standard dystopian fare with emphasis on romance and action. No.

In fairness, I can understand why plenty would enjoy this movie. As I mentioned, the story is naturally intriguing as you want to know how this world came to be. The pacing allows for a gradual realization of the truth in a way that will keep audiences engaged. The look and design of the sets turned out about as well as I would have liked despite a severe downplay on the bikes. I was impressed with how they approached the inability to see color concept--that was one of my bigger worries. One actual improvement was the inclusion of a few scenes that were darker and better captured the tone of the book. I suppose the ending could be considered better to some. It definitely wraps things up more concisely and in a more pleasing manner to the average person. Ehhh, that's about all I can say positively.

I'm just going to run down the changes and things that were driving me nuts. First up, Taylor Swift. I think that speaks for itself. Second, Katie Holmes. Okaaaaay, with that out of my system, let's move on to the real gripes. The beginning is way too rushed considering how short this movie is and how much extra bullshit was added. The beginning of the book is fun as we learn about this world, the characters, and how the innocent exterior masks a dark truth. This is all brushed over so they can spend more time on a love story that didn't even exist in the book. Hooray! I know, let's also imply it's a fucking love triangle to boot with "subtle" stares from a jealous Asher. These characters (in the book) are supposed to be twelve years old for fuck's sake! Speaking of which, none of these actors look the part in any conceivable way. I don't get it, did they think having children in the roles would make it less serious? It doesn't matter, because, as much as I love Jeff Bridges and his passion for the book, he is not the Giver; truth be told, he would agree. And Meryl Streeps' character is far too prominent for a practically nonexistent role added to the plot; uhh, we don't need an overlord villain in every single one of these kind of movies. I get that some people may like this ending, but it was intolerably stupid. The last 30 minutes were pretty much completely made up! I prefer the uncertain fate for Jonas and the baby, but, even if that ambiguity bothers you, are you going to tell me a giant memory shockwave is better?! How about arguing over Fiona's made up execution? I can just picture the studio saying we gotta have Asher redeem himself! Good lord.

In the end, I gave this film a higher rating than it deserves since I can understand my own bias; if I went by how much this movie ruins the book, we'd be at the 4/10 range or lower. They changed too much, made shit up, and simply used the book's plot in a husk form to draw ideas from. Trying to be objective about this, I can see the positives and realize the movie tried its best to stand on its own merits. People unfamiliar with the material will probably be receptive and appreciate the general plot and presentation of the book's themes. The actors do their best even if none look the part they're supposed to be playing. I guess if you've never read the book or were even aware of its existence, you may enjoy this. If you read the book, it's probably 50/50 whether this will annoy you or not.

Notable Moment: When Jonas and Fiona slide down that giant archway. Yeaaaaah, lightly sticking your foot out will bring you to a comfortable stop. Uhh...I'm pretty sure they should have died!

Final Rating: 6/10

No comments: