Translate

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Bad Moms Review


Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: After a series of unfortunate events, an overworked mom decides she will do whatever the hell she wants.

Review: Oh lordy...thankfully, my sister paid for my ticket to this shit, because there was no chance in Tartarus I'd choose to watch this on my own. In fairness, I am as far from the target demographic as you can possibly get. Regardless, I expected at least one laugh to be had. Nope. I did crack a smile a few times and came, kind of, close to laughing once. However, in retrospect, every instance I liked revolved around the same character, Carla; you take her away and this movie is instantly unfunny. On top of that, I felt the overall themes were mean-spirited and overloaded with unabashed, first world moaning and groaning.

I perfectly understand the humor is not meant to appeal to me, but the jokes are just plain dumb. The way they demonstrate most of the comedy is through over the top remarks no one would really say. I wouldn't mind this approach if it didn't happen over and over again; this is the shtick of multiple characters! The other avenue is just absurd moments which is a comedy staple. I liked these jokes a tad better, but most scenarios are tired bullshit like getting drunk and the zany antics that ensue; there's a reason why "tasteful shenanigans" are bonus points and regular shenanigans are not! Mila Kunis is also horribly miscast here. Now, I really like Ms. Kunis--she's 100% my type--but I don't buy her in this role. She's too young, her borderline, retarded husband would not cheat on someone still so young and hot, and she wouldn't be this altruistic if she's that jaded at the same time. I hated that they gave her a love interest too who is so unbelievable it was blowing my mind. You're honestly telling me that some single dad whose wife died would tell a woman he fucked once that she was the best he ever had?! AND he wants to go down on her AFTER busting a nut?!! WHAT?! Surrrre. He's such a pander character that it's comical unto itself for all the wrong reasons. Connected to this was a general sense of hating on dads. Ms. Kunis' husband is depicted as so childish yet he's clearly the one making the money. The same goes with all the other bitches...sitting around being moms while some dude is footing the bill. Just watch the Chris Rock routine about how no one thanks dad--he explains this better than I could. And if you want to make a film about moms and the kids...well they don't even do that right. The kids are depicted as excessively idiotic, selfish, and dependent yet there is little responsibility depicted on the part of the moms for raising them this way! Whatever, dude.

Did they do anything right? Well, I did enjoy Carla even though someone like her in reality would be an absolute trainwreck. I'd go as far as to say she stole the show. Plenty of her jokes still fell flat, but she was fun to see in action. Another reason why I upped the rating higher was due to the exceptional amount of pizza. This is why I know the script was written by men, because only a man would think you could eat this much pizza and still look like Mila Kunis! Nevertheless, pizza is one of my main weaknesses...kinda craving it just by writing the word. Anyway...the overall production is fine, and the acting was adequate enough for this type of movie. The running time did feel like an eternity, but the jokes were relentless that's for sure. I think that's all I got...

For me, this failed as a comedy, but I can picture chicks hanging out with their "girlfriends" loving this. Maybe a few tortured men could consider this a date movie, but I'd suggest haggling with your girlfriend/wife/lover/hooker/head in the freezer to watch something more endurable. The comedy is heavily reliant on the over the top scenarios so that is where your humor needs to be at to match. There were only a couple gross-out moments and little creative wit so don't count on those comedy styles. Honestly, I think this is a cut and dry situation. You either watched the trailer and said "that's for me" or you saw the trailer and said "oh, hell no." Because it's exactly as you imagine for both groups.

Notable Moment: When they crash the grocery store while drunk and Carla is on the mobile cart (hell if I know what those are officially called). This was as close to a laugh as I could muster.

Final Rating: 5.5/10

No comments: