Translate

Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge Review



Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: Freddy possesses a boy whose family has moved into Nancy's house years after the events of part one.

Review: When I think of this film I often ponder to myself: why? This movie isn't super bad, but it is such a weak continuation from part one. First let's deal with the controversy with the gay issue. The first time I saw this movie I did not think the main character, Jesse, was gay, but that was a different era and I was much younger. There's nothing wrong if he were, but it was the ambiguity and oddity of the presentation that confused so many viewers. At the same time this adds to all the other blunders that make this film seem like it is not a Nightmare movie. Freddy does not even kill anyone in a nightmare damn it! What few kills there are were all done by the possessed Jesse in reality which is an okay concept in theory, but it is not fitting for a "dream demon." Plus, this is supposed to be "Freddy's Revenge" so where the hell is the revenge?! Where the hell is Freddy himself?! Killing a kid's gay gym coach, ambiguously gay best friend, and some random party goers is hardly revenge. I never even liked this notion of possession because it didn't fit the tone of the original premise. Freddy isn't haunting some house or just some ghost, he's an evil being that exists outside of reality. There's so much failure in constructing the plot that I wonder if they even watched the first movie. And Freddy is defeated by a kiss?! Freddy is often killed stupidly in this franchise, but this isn't Snow White people. Although, I must admit, I do like the gender reversal here with the woman saving the man because it is so rare except with cheesy action movies. As I said, this isn't the worst, and there were a few good ideas even if poorly executed. I can tell there was a good movie buried under all this at some point. But it is hard to overlook the change in tone, odd plot direction, cheap effects, hilariously stupid dialogue, poor delivery, and having Freddy reduced to an afterthought. Thankfully the franchise would be put back on track after this. I also would like to add that a girl I once showed the entire Nightmare franchise to claimed part 2 was the scariest...yes, she is retarded.

Notable Moment: When Freddy rips his way out of Jesse. This was a pretty good effect, and I love the eye at the back of the throat.

Final Rating: 5.5/10

No comments: