Translate

Friday, September 14, 2012

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 Review



Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: An aging Bruce Wayne, sensing the growing danger in Gotham, decides it is time to put the cape back on and fight crime after a ten year hiatus.

Review: For those that just can't get enough Batman, here is this new animated entry into a long list of animated films following the caped crusader. As a long time fan of all things Batman I was immediately removed from the film when I heard Bruce utter his first word with Mr. Robocop, Peter Weller, taking over voice acting duties for Kevin Conroy. Call me biased or whatever, but it is so hard for me to imagine anyone else voicing Batman, other than Mr. Conroy, despite the fact that I know many have given it a go. The story is interesting revolving around five plot points: a "retired" Bruce Wayne, Two Face having his face restored, Gotham City infested with a new and violent gang called the Mutants, a young girl aspiring to be the new Robin, and an ongoing build up to a mental patient growing more aware each time Batman is mentioned on TV which any observer would quickly realize is the Joker. As you can probably tell, there is a whole lot going on here which is a good thing but makes the plot feel disjointed. I wish they maybe would have focused on just two or three of these plot elements and left the rest alone, but, then again, this is based off a specific comic book of the same name. My favorite plotline is the aging Bruce as I like to see the struggle for Batman to still fight; this element brings more drama and intrigue to an otherwise known tale. The Robin and Two Face plot points are okay, but could have been done without or worked around. The Mutants were interesting and you could definitely feel that '80s vibe from them since I think the film is supposed to be taking place during that decade without actually saying it. Last, the Joker plotline was of course a welcomed bonus even if predictable. There is an implication that the reason why things like this keep happening in Gotham is directly caused by Batman and the need for villains to fight him; this is further emphasized by the fact that Bruce is obsessed and would rather die as Batman than retire as his normal self. There were two scenes that really annoyed me though which is part of the reason I lowered the rating: a scene where Batman uses one of the Mutants' guns, and the fact that his tank-like Batmobile was shooting bullets albeit rubber ones. I just hate the notion of Batman using a gun or even using something too similar; we even have emphasis of my point due to more flashbacks of Bruce's parents being killed in that fateful alleyway. The animation feels a bit off or maybe it was just their take on a more hulkish Batman that irked me; Batman should be slimmer since his specialty is speed and agility. I do have to admit this was a nice little tale that makes me forget about the incredibly disappointing "Dark Knight Rises." It also leaves you excited for Part 2 which is supposed to be out next year some time. I'd recommend checking this one out if you just can't have enough Batman.

Notable Moment: When Batman fights the leader of the Mutants in a fist to fist brawl in the mud to even out their speed.

Final Rating: 7/10

No comments: