Translate

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Shirome Review



Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: Real life Japanese pop group Momoiro Clover investigate a haunted school with the aid of camera crew and psychics.

Review: I'm not really sure what to make of this film. Is it just a promotional stunt for the all female, pop group Momoiro Clover or was this supposed to be an actual movie? If it was to promote the group you'd think it would portray them as something more than screaming wimps or is that cute in Japan? If this was meant to be a true horror film with a little bit of a draw from the girls, why not put some actual effort into it...or were they really trying?! Going back to the girls, my god are they the most pathetic, fragile, little cupcakes I've ever watched! They scream, cry, and whine over EVERYTHING! Shut up! Some guy is just telling a story about two students who committed suicide and the girls are huddled together, holding hands, eyes closed, hands covering their ears, lots of high pitched screams and whines, and continually saying stupid comments like, "No more" or "stop" like it's so scary. Seriously, I can't believe these girls are this fucking pathetic in real life. Were the writers inspired by Shaggy and Scooby or something? And yet when they are in the haunted school and weird shit is finally happening, they are fine?! Also I was bothered by the plotline where the producer kept asking the girls would they sell their souls to go on this big music show, and they said yes...say what? As for my wondering about whether this was ever to be taken seriously, this film is not scary in the least! I'm not joking, Japan has TV shows and made-for-TV movies like a million times scarier than this. The effects for the ghost(s) are laughable, and they waste so many opportunities to do something scary. Other than cheap-looking cgi effects, a few things moving, and some soundbites, I can't think of a single scene that had anything scary or even original. I didn't understand why they made the setting a school since they never once played off the setting to do anything. Honestly, the only reason I even rated this film as high as I did was because I liked the idea of using a real life pop group which is something I have wished Japan would do for a while; idols, as they're called, are often subjected to these kind of things in reality, so I have wanted them to make a movie based off this concept. Other than that, this is just mediocre all around but loses tons of points for how annoying the girls are. The only people who I think would get any enjoyment out of this film are fans of Momoiro Clover or those who love to hear high pitched screaming 70% of the movie. I should note, my opinion of Momoiro Clover in the film is not a shot at their music career which I actually do enjoy.

Notable Moment: In the beginning when the girls keep screaming. This isn't a good scene but is memorable for how annoying the screaming is!

Final Rating: 4/10

No comments: