Translate

Monday, August 6, 2012

Batman Begins Review



Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: Bruce Wayne's parents are murdered leading him down a path of discovery and justice to become Batman.

Review: Once more I deal with the Baman franchise. There is just something that always irked me about this film; everyone seems to love this movie, but I find it such a poorly executed origin story. Probably the moment that annoyed me the most was when we see Bruce trying to shoot the killer of his parents. Bruce Wayne would never use a gun! On top of that, we never get a sense of why Batman won't use violence on criminals. It's as if they were leading to that and then forgot to insert a scene or some dialogue. There is some part about Bruce identifying with the peasants and not wanting to kill someone, but we don't get why Bruce feels this way unless you already know the character. The other thing that annoyed me was the boyscout version of the Wayne family. I mean seriously, they were a part of the underground railroad, saved Gotham, and the death of Bruce's parents arguably saved the world?! The final annoyance was the idiotic plan to destroy Gotham: some machine that can turn water to vapor combined with a fear toxin? This is ridiculous because humans are made of water! However, with all these flaws, I still find parts entertaining, the acting is good, and the end is satisfying enough with a Joker setup. I just wanted more from this movie, and it just didn't live up to the hype or expectations I had. Obviously fans are quite familiar with this franchise, but I would direct others to watch the original "Batman" first before delving into the Nolan trilogy to see a better origin. On the other hand, "The Dark Knight" is definitely the superior Batman film to be viewed.

Notable Moment: The best part for me was when Bruce pretends to get drunk at his party and starts talking trash on all the rich snobs.

Final Rating: 5.5/10

No comments: