Translate

Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Dark Knight Review



Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: Batman is back in the second installment of the Nolan trilogy, and is fighting the mob, the Joker, and Two Face.

Review: Finally, I complete my review of the Batman franchise with the best saved for last. There is a lot going on in this film that is for sure; I can almost imagine the script originally may have been two movies. The film is close to two and half hours, but the pacing is so great you don't feel it. I love the direction they took the Joker character in. At first I did not think Nicholson's performance would be outdone and that Heath Ledger was a bad choice, but I was severly mistaken. Ledger's performance really was as brilliant and award worthy as it was hyped to be. Complimenting this was the tortured addition of Two Face, and the way the action was balanced between Batman/Bruce, the villains, Gordon, and all the secondary characters. As I've said before, everything just works here; the only complaints I have are there are a few contrivances, and I can't stand Maggie Gyllenhaal which is the only reason I don't rate this as a ten. As with Nolan's other films, he properly uses a magnificant soundtrack by Hans Zimmer. The story is solid, the action and pacing are well balanced, all the characters have time to shine, nothing is too over the top, the dialogue is fun and clever, the acting is great, and it's just a phenomenal film overall. I honestly can't imagine there ever being a better and more powerful Batman film. If you watch any single Batman film, make this the one!

Notable Moment: The opening heist by the Joker because it immediately pulls you into the film with a cool twist.

Final Rating: 9.5/10

No comments: