Translate

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Review



Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: A young boy finds a golden ticket that offers him the chance to enter the legendary chocolate factory of Willy Wonka.

Review: I was really surprised when I first learned that this film had bombed back in '71. There are so many aspects of this movie that just work so effectively. The visuals are wonderful and each of the setpieces are memorable. I must say, I hate musicals, and not only is this a musical I enjoy, but I love most of the songs as well. The timing and pacing of the songs works well as they don't feel out of place or annoying. Another thing I always love about this movie is that it makes you so hungry for candy! One of my favorite scenes is when we see the inside of the chocolate room; talk about scrumdiliumptious! The characters are a wide variety of weirdos, but it fits the overall tone of the film with Wonka easily being the biggest wacko; Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka is phenomenal! But this is more than just an odd musical, it's also a great family adventure with a lot of touching moments mostly involving the main character, Charlie. We live through the eyes of Charlie and watch as each bratty kid gets what's coming to them leading up to a great conclusion. This is a wonderful film, and it's a shame that there is such a horrible remake connected to it...thankfully it has a different title! The acting is great, the songs are catchy and memorable, the set designs and direction are top notch, the candy makes you hungry, pacing and action are solid, and the story is fun and enjoyable for all ages. Definitely give this one a watch especially if you've only watched that pitiful remake; this is a childhood masterpiece in my mind.

Notable Moment: There are so many to choose from, but I think the scene that touches me most is when Charlie returns the everlasting gobstopper to Mr. Wonka, and we see Wonka's faith restored as well as the accompanying celebration.

Final Rating: 8.5/10

No comments: