Translate

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Aladdin Review



Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: A "street rat" finds a magic lamp which unleashes a genie that will grant him three wishes.

Review: I am not a fan of Disney; in fact, I really dislike Disney movies with a passion, but every so often they do adapt a story I like such as Aladdin. I have always been a fan of the 1001 Nights' tale regarding Aladdin, but I have to give Disney some credit for making the story so entertaining. Not only do we get the classic story I love so much (with obvious alterations), but we are given a memorable and catchy musical number with some impressive action scenes. Aladdin himself is presented acceptably enough despite his idiotic wishes. I must give extra appreciation to Robin Williams for turning in an excellent performance as the genie, Genie; he is able to be funny without being overly annoying which is a fine line with Mr. Williams. Jafar and Iago make formiddable enemies with Jafar being one of the more calculating villains in the Disneyverse. I always liked Jafar since he looks intimidating and comes off as especially memorable; I suppose his popularity is what led to Disney's first real sequel. Jasmine pulls off a sexy look while being maybe the first assertive Disney princess; I think we all had a thing for Jasmine! This was just one of those rare instances where Disney was able to pull it all together for an amazing family adventure while still creating a story that is universal and without too much saturation of the Disney cliches. If you dislike Disney, like I do, give this one a chance, but if you're a Disney fan and have passed on this one, what are you waiting for?!

Notable Moment: When Jafar becomes a genie and finds himself trapped in a lamp of his own.

Final Rating: 9/10

No comments: