Translate

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sukob (The Wedding Curse) Review


Check out my updated review! http://thevagrantrises.blogspot.com/2015/09/updated-review-10-sukob-aka-wedding.html

Disclaimer: Contains spoilers!

Plot Summary: Apparently, in the Philippines, having your wedding the same year as a sibling or the same year a close relative dies unleashes a curse upon you!

Review: Okay, I have to say this movie starts off really dumb which may put off viewers; the first "dead body" is especially embarrassing. But this movie has a lot more going for it than what I've read from other reviews. This film is often called a ripoff as well, but I'm still trying to figure out what it's ripping off other than basic Asian horror elements. I actually found it quite original especially if someone made up this superstition which I don't know if it's a real belief or not (I'd love to hear any confirmation one way or another from any pinoys out there!). In the beginning of the movie we see two separate weddings in different parts of the country (one poor and one rich). During these weddings we see weird events occuring as well as the appearance of the antagonist: a zombie-like flower girl ghost(?). I really loved the concept behind this ghost and the look as well; the flower girl idea was brilliant. I also liked that the ghost doesn't seem to represent an actual person but the physical embodiment of the curse itself. This abstract entity really makes the movie stand out amongst a genre of vengeful spirits especially if it's not an actual ghost and just some malevolent force. As the movie progresses, and more people start dying, we learn that the two separate weddings actually belonged to half-sisters connected by a cheating dad. Since neither knew the other existed, they inadvertently triggered the curse; this little twist was predicatable but still decent. I would have rated this film so much higher, but the end is so stupid and there are a lot of questionable moments throughout the film where I feel any audience will laugh at; however, it's still an interesting and creative movie most definitely worth a view. I've read that this movie was surprisingly successful in the Philippines (supposedly due to the actress Kris Aquino), so here's hoping it gets a sequel some day since the curse has a lot of room to explore. I also must give a special shout out to the actress Boots Anson-Roa because I'm told I love her.

Notable Moment: The first time we see the ghost at the wedding kind of just lurking in the background. This scene is very ominous and effective.

Final Rating: 7/10

No comments: